Saturday, November 6, 2010

An Ordinary Parish Priest: The Scorsese Filmography



Over this past summer, I undertook the somewhat daunting task of viewing the entire feature filmography of my favourite living director, Martin Scorsese.  I viewed the films chronologically by release date, and did this purely for my own enjoyment.  I had been inspired to look at all the films after picking up a copy of Roger Ebert's fantastic book, Scorsese by Ebert.  Being obsessed with movies, the thorough analysis that Ebert provided of Scorsese's career didn't quench the thirst I had for insight on Scorsese's works.  Instead, it merely served as a jumping-off point for my curiosity about the great director, and I was compelled to watch all his films and do some writing of my own.

So, basically, I'm going to write a series of blog entries about his features.  I'll probably post them in the order in which the films were released, although I might deviate.  Also, I'll obviously post about other subjects, I'm not interested in just blogging about Marty.

Sadly, due to their absence from rental stores at the time of my binge, I was unable to view Kundun, his 1997 film about the Dalai Lama, or his 2008 Rolling Stones concert film, Shine a Light.  However, hopefully I will have had the opportunity to view them by the time I reach them in his filmography.  I might also write about some of his shorts or his documentary work, depending on how I'm feeling.

1 comment:

  1. I might own a copy of Shine a Light. I'll have to look, though.

    ReplyDelete